Exploring the Unknown: How to Travel Safely in the Back Country.
For: Backpackers, Day Hikers, Back Country Skiers/Snowboarders, Forestry Service Workers, Volunteer Rescue Personnel, etc… Anyone needing the skills to move efficiently off trail through various types of terrain.
This training covers: Choosing the best map and compass for your needs; Understanding Magnetic Variation, Accurately plotting and communicating your position; Making a six-point checklist to move from point A to B; Safe Movement techniques for different terrain and weather conditions; and using Natural navigation aids when technology fails.
Complete Course Description:
– Maps: Learn how to understand all that they have to offer you
1. Choosing a map that meets your needs
2. Using the legend and reading contour lines
3. Understanding and applying Magnetic Variation
4. Plot locations using the UTM Grid and Latitude and Longitude systems
– Compasses: Learn how to use this incredible tool with or without a map to get from point A to B and beyond.
1. How to find the right compass for you
2. The essential parts of a compass and how to use them
3. Practice point to point navigation to stay on course
4. Learn how to use angulations to find your location if you’re lost or unsure
– The Six Point Checklist: A simple guide to get you from point A to B reliably every time.
1. Learn to shoot bearings and evaluate the terrain-choosing the best route
2. Get a base pace count for both kilometers and miles
– Movement techniques: Learn how to move in different environments safely.
1. Learn travel concepts like moving at night, through snow, through thick fog, up and down steep slopes, etc
2. Learn how to improvise tools from the materials around you to help you travel
– Natural Navigation Aids: equipment fails or gets lost, learn how to use nature to find what you need-including direction.
1. Learn ways to find the cardinal directions using the sun, wind, and moon/stars
What to Wear/Bring:
– Closed toed shoes (hiking boots would be great though we won’t be walking too far)
– long pants
– Sun hat
– Long sleeve shirt
– Warm layers (possibly including a warm hat and gloves depending on the season)
– Rain gear (you never know what the weather will decide to do!)
– Large full water bottle and extra water
– Lunch and snacks
– We provide maps and compasses, however if you have your own bring them to gain familiarity and get feedback on them
Optional Items to bring:
– Bug spray
– Camp chair/crazy creek/sit pad
– Note taking materials
Class size: This class has a max size of 15 participants
Age: While this fast-paced course is geared towards adults and teens , it can be appropriate for ages 5+. (All minors under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a participating parent/legal guardian.)
Times and Locations: All one day courses will be within a one hour drive of the listed city. Directions to specific class locations will be emailed to you after registering for a particular class-please see below for class dates. Classes are one day in length starting at 9 am and running until 4 pm unless otherwise noted in the listed class date title.
Private Group Courses are available:
We also do private courses, team-building retreats, corporate events, birthday parties, etc… You get the folks together and tell us when you want to go: weather and schedules permitting! We prefer that you allow us at least 30 days advance notice to schedule a course. If you’d like to explore these options please contact us at: Info@SERETraining.US
Trip cancellation by clients must take place at least 28 days prior to the start of the trip in order to be eligible for a refund. On rare occasions, a trip is prevented from running due to land closures relating to dangerous weather conditions, fires, etc. You will be notified promptly if a closure occurs and the trip is prevented from running and will receive the option to reschedule for a later trip date or to receive a full refund.
Additional Questions about this course can be addressed to: Info@SERETraining.US
Basic Map and Compass Course Nov 13, 2018 Damascus, TN
Basic Map and Compass Course Nov 13, 2018 Damascus, TN 6-8 pm
Women’s Basic Map and Compass Course: August 18, 2018 Corvallis, Oregon 9-5 pm
Basic Map and Compass Course September 22, 2018 Boulder, CO
Basic Map and Compass Course May 18, 2019 Boulder, CO
Advanced Navigation Course May 19, 2019 Boulder, CO